- Dark Bag
- 320ml of Developer
- 320ml of Stop
- 320ml of Fix
- 5 litre wash bath
- A film canister with film in it
- Measuring cups
- Developing Tank
What to do?
- Firstly, get the dark bag and the film canister, and the developing tank (which should include a funnel, a reel and a lid).
- Once you have all of the equipment from step one, place everything inside of the dark bag and then close the zip up and then place your arms through the arm holes. When you have got your arms inside you are ready to go.
- Take your film out of the canister (the reason why we do this in a dark bag is because no light can reach the under developed film) a place your film onto the reel. This can be really tricky at first as its in a dark bag and you cannot see what you are doing, so be patience and it’ll work.
- Once the film is on the reel, place the reel at the bottom of the developing tank (with a tube that faces upwards).
- Then place the funnel facing downwards so you can pour the developing and other liquids. This developing tank is now light protected, so no light can get into the tank, meaning you can now take you hands and the tank out of the dark bag.
- Now you are ready to start the developing stages.
- Pour 320ml of developer into the funnel (we put 320ml in the tank because this fills all of the film). Once you’ve poured the developer into the tank set your timer straight away for five minutes.
- Every 30 seconds give the tank five shakes upside, to get the developer all the way around the tank. Then tap the tank twice on a table or a worktop to get the air bubbles out of the film. Repeat this step until the end of the five minutes.
- Once the five minutes up, pour the used developer down the sink and wash the measuring cup out.
- Now pour 320ml into the funnel, and start the timer for only thirty seconds this time and shake and tap only once. Pour this back into the container you got the stop from as its reuseable.
- Next pour in 320 ml of fixer into the funnel and then start the timer for five minutes this time, shake and tap every thirty to forty seconds. Once the five minutes up pour this back into the container you get it from as this is also reusable.
- You can now take the developing tank apart as its no longer sensitive to light.
- Now its time for the film to have a wash in the wash bath, to get all the chemicals off. Leave this in the bath for twenty minutes to get the best results.
- After the twenty minutes is up,place two fingers on either side of strip and then run your things down it, to get most of the water off.
- Then place your strip into a dryer and leave this for twenty minutes and then you will be done developing your film.